About Me

A Southern soul living the country life and keeping the legacy of Food, Faith and Family alive and well.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Farmer's Market



Since I could not wait one day longer for my peaches to ripen, I headed to Fredericksburg to buy some to satisfy my craving for peach cobbler.  I found a great Farmer's Market that had wonderful peaches and other fresh fruits and veggies.  I think my peaches will be ready in the next few weeks.  Every day I keep doing the compression test hoping that today is the day...


One summer I was thinking that my pre teen daughters ought to be up in the morning doing something instead of sleeping so late, so I decided to have them pick peaches.  There are three daughters so I figured it would go quickly.  I left to go run some errands and gave them buckets, baskets and a ladder.  After some groaning, and a little arguing, they managed to pick all the peaches by the time I returned.  Oh, how I heard that they were so hot, and the branches were scratchy, and did I have any idea how many peaches were on that tree. (There were alot actually)  It was so cute listening to each of their stories  and seeing the expressions on their faces.  They did have some fun and got all my peaches picked too!

I tried this new peach cobbler recipe which I simply LOVE! Enjoy!

PEACH COBBLER
4 cups peeled, sliced peaches
2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup water
8 T. butter
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar  and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.
2. Put the butter in a 3-qt. dish and place in oven to melt.
3. Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour and milk slowly to prevent clumping.  Pour mixture over melted butter.  Don't stir.  Spoon the fruit on top of batter and gently pour on syrup.  Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon.  Batter will rise to top during baking.  Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Of course, serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment