There are several recipes in my collection that I have received from good friends over the years. Each time I look through them or make one, it brings back those fond memories and special times we shared. I was in a cooking club years ago when my girls were babies. There were about 10-12 of us in the group and it was called "Creative Entertaining". Each month one person would host and they would choose a menu and gather all the ingredients and put on a 'party' for us all. We would arrive in the morning to prepare each dish and by lunch time we had it on the table. It was such a neat time to be together, just us girls, and visit, laugh and share. And we all came away with some awesome recipes as well.
When we women get together, whether it's with a sweet neighbor, coworker, fellow mom, or church friend, food is a common thread that we weave through our lives. Sharing these recipes with one another gives us a connection and a bond that we keep with us over the years.
My friend Becky is a great lady. Every time I see her she is so gracious and she makes you feel like it was just yesterday that you saw one another no matter how long it's really been. Years ago when we had a gathering at her house, she made this great soup and served it with baked potatoes. I still remember the laughs and funny stories from that time when I make this soup. The name "Shopping Day Soup" makes me smile...it reminds me of when my grandmother would take a shopping day and need to leave my grandad something for lunch. She always made sure he had something to eat. This is a recipe that she would have loved! Quick and easy, and so yummy when you add all the fresh toppings!
Shopping Day Soup
2 large cans of chicken, drained or; 2 to 3 chicken breasts cubed
1 large can Progresso chicken and rice soup
2 cans of chicken broth
1 can Rotel tomatoes
2 T. fresh cilantro
Combine all ingredients in a soup pot and simmer. Serve with grated cheese, chopped tomatoes and avocado. Sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips and serve! Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment